Written on the Wind

November 7th, 2010

Before we saw “Written on the Wind” in class, I looked it up online. To be perfectly honest, I did not understand the significance of this movie, which made the professor choose to show it in class. Then, during the professor’s lecture, I realized that the significance of the movie was its director. Douglas Sirk is an amazing director; from the way he portrays characters, to the way his movies end. I really like the way his characters are one extreme or the other, either very good or very bad.
Kyle Hadley is a drunk, paranoid, who is overly concerned about his ability to father children. His assumption, when told the good news that his wife is expecting their child, that he is not the father, makes him unlikable. His further actions of attacking her and causing her to lose their child, clearly makes him a villain. His sister Marylee is promiscuous, who is obsessed with marrying her childhood friend Mitch who does not love her. Her blackmail of Mitch to marry her or she will turn him in makes her equally evil.
I’m sure there are people out there who don’t think “Written on the Wind” had a happy ending, but I do. In my opinion, Kyle and Marylee Hadley were bad people, and they deserved what they got. I know it may seem a bit cruel of me to say that someone deserved to get shot, but even though I think death is very tragic, I just can’t bring myself to feel sorry for him.
On the other hand, I do feel a little sorry for Marylee, but only because of her epiphany at the end. In the end, though she begins to testify against Mitch, she decides to do the right thing and tell the truth. It is unclear to me, whether she is not truly evil or did she see the wrong in her ways?
Do you agree? Did Kyle and Marylee get what they deserved? Were they evil, or does everyone have some good and bad within them?

One Response to “Written on the Wind”

1. anroy on November 21, 2010 2:06 PM

To me, Kyle and Marylee was not a bad person like typical villan in Hollywood Movies. They were very complicated characters; I find them lost and spoiled rich individual.What happend to them is sad but if it didnt happen the movie would never have a interesting plot !

Trackback URI | Comments RSS